Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thanks for All the Fish

Life is not without its little ironies. For example yesterday evening I attended Wakame’s Summer relaunch. However, as luck would have it; the 100 year storm hit our shores and it happened to be the frostiest evening in ages. Besides the un-timely weather the evening was a huge success with plenty of free food and drink to go around. I was particularly impressed when sampling some of the new sushi rolls on the menu and also had the opportunity to try out some of the new varieties of Dim Sum (although I was slightly reluctant to – as I’ve been burnt by Dim Sum before).

The winds from this storm have been devastating, sign posts have blown off, billboards have fallen and trees have been blown over. This morning, while at the gym; I also noticed that there were a lot more people than usual for a Sunday. I then overheard that it was because part of the roof at the Point gym had blown off, so people had decided to migrate to the one in Gardens.

Later, I decided to drive past the Green Point promenade, as I heard that the waves had been ridiculously big. Being a surfer, I’m always curious and decided to go check it out. All I can say is that I have never in my life seen the sea this rough and out of control. It was so hectic that the waves were breaking over the railings and the foam from the breaking waves was being blown onto the middle of the main road.

With Spring a day away, this is seriously unexpected. I guess sometimes expectations and plans are marred and you have to make the most of every situation. Kind of the same way Wakame did by just holding their opening despite harsh conditions. Anyways, tomorrow is the start of a new day, so good night and thanks for all the fish.

No comments: