Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's in a Name?

"What's in a Name?" as one William Shakespeare once asked. Obviously old Will was never ridiculed as a child, having a relatively well-known and ordinary name. But some folks are just not as fortunate. In my day to day grind at work I often get Requests from user to fix or modify parts of software. Today's request came form someone by the name of Dingo? As I read the name on the Request my first reaction was to laugh, thankfully, I didn't as I'm sure that would have inflicted some gaping wounds in our companies, client relations.

I realized that the poor fella must have had a hard time when he was younger, because children, as you know can be cruel. I've had my fair share of ridicule; with a surname like Ou it was difficult not too...the most common of which was when one asked my surname: "Hey! What's your surname". I'd reply: "Ou". To which they would "very cleverly" quip: "Oh! I get it." If I had a cent for every time I heard that crack I'd be filthy, stinking rich by now (I've got the first two parts down pat)! Having a two letter surname can cause for some interesting issues too. I remember once how I tried to apply for a contract at a video store, and how their system required the surname to be at least three letters or more, since their stupid system could not validate my surname, I had to reluctantly take my business else where. Surname discriminating bastards!

At least old Dingo, can spare his children the same fate. He can at least name them something different. My children will not have that luxury, they're stuck with my families legacy (sorry kids, you'll have to suffer, the same way daddy suffered). So from someone who has had experience in a naming misfortune, this is my plea to future parents everywhere: Please for the love of all that is good a decent, do not name your children something stupid, silly or that you may think is endearing. They will grow up hating you!

No comments: