Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pulling off a "Benny"

Apparently it’s becoming a common thing amongst a group of my friends to call crashing their cars pulling off a “Benny”…allegedly due to my frequency and tendency to smash up vehicles.

My friend Darryn Van der Walt apparently t-boned (crashed into the side of) a Beamer earlier this morning and soon afterward news spread amongst the inner circle about how he had pulled off a “Benny”, the news swiftly travelled through the grape vine until it finally reached me. In my defence I’ve never crashed INTO a Beamer before, the only German vehicle that I have crashed INTO is a Mercedes.

Although I suppose I have crashed one…My family has an old 3 series which has been affectionately dubbed the Phoenix, owing to the fact that someone…I won’t mention who… wrote it off. Being seriously set in his ways, my dad who loved the car so much, replaced the it with an exact replica, the new one even came complete with the same tow bar which was not standard issue. I think the only difference between the vehicles was the colour of the leather seats. One had grey leather interiors while the other had Gun Metal (or some variance of grey).

I’m not proud of having car crashes named after me…but if I get royalties, I may just warm up to the idea!

No comments: