Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lauren Devine

I am so tired but I can’t sleep.

This is my poor attempt to pay respect and tribute to a truly amazing person, as nothing I write can do Lauren Devine justice. Those of you, who know La, know that she is, divine! There is just no other word that describes her.

I’m shocked beyond comprehension, and can’t believe that she is no longer with us. I saw her yesterday while writing my blog, I was sitting in Xav’s flat (as Lauren was temporarily staying there) watching her zoop around, as she does, cleaning and tidying up in preparation to hand the flat back and make his welcome home special. I wanted to help out, but she wouldn’t let me; instead she made me a cup of tea.

As I helped gather the last of her things to leave for her aunts, I wished her goodbye and tried to find out when we were going to meet up at Asoka for her friends birthday in the evening. Sadly that was the last time I heard from her, a few hours later I received a phone call…

I have not felt this heart sore and emotionally drained since my grandfathers passing; and I imagine that what I’m feeling right now is felt by every person’s lives she has touched.
To say La had a lot of friends is an understatement, everywhere I’ve been with her, here in Cape Town and even in Johannesburg; some one knew her. And all who knows her, loves her incredibly. Her kindness, her loyalty, her absolute pure selflessness is un-comparable.

I remember yesterday how I was talking about how I was becoming jaded - While cleaning up, Lauren jokingly asked if she had made special mention in my blog post. I told her that she had, indirectly; she didn’t understand my comment and thought I was just being nice. But honestly, having her around was the inspiration for me to write about trying to be less calloused. She’s amazing to watch, she never lets anything get her down and to see the genuine caring that she shows towards her friends and family is uncanny. It inspires me and gives me hope.

To her friends, family and loved ones, we all share in a tragic loss. We are blessed to have been graced by a beautiful, beautiful being. And no words can express my sincerest condolences to everyone, in particular Michelle, Mom and Dad Devine.

And to my fun loving, tigering, vida drinking, key losing, compassionate, amazingly beautiful, beautiful friend La La Devine, I miss you! And will never forget you! Or the things that you have taught me!

Amidst all the confusion, chaos and hurt; I can almost hear her saying to me “Shame Ben, I don’t want this to be keeping you up.”

3 comments:

Mari said...

Hey Benny. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute...

Wayne said...

Truly a written tour de force for a person you so clearly loved.
I know that pain all too well. my empathy is with you.

Benny Ou said...

Thanks Wayne. That means a lot. She was a truly special person and I will miss her and love her always.