Monday, August 25, 2008

WWLDD

I haven’t had too much sleep and my appetite has been pretty much non-existent. I was finally able to catch a couple of hours yesterday evening, and when my alarm went off this morning, there was really, very little motivation for me to get out and face the day, let alone wake up. I wanted everything that had happened to be a bad dream. All I really wanted was to curl up, lie there and feel sorry for myself.

But I’m pretty certain that La wouldn’t have wanted that, so I gathered all my strength got out of bed and headed off to work. I tried to stay optimistic, and my mantra for the day to stay positive was “WWLDD” (What would Lauren Devine do – because – well really - she’s always so damn positive). For most part I did all right, but every now and then I had to slip to the bathroom. I don’t know if it’s a man thing or a matter of professionalism, but I don’t particularly like having my colleagues see me weep.

Sadly, I couldn’t make it through the whole day. The tipping point was when our CEO was commenting on how much he loved carrot cake, as someone kindly brought some to work due to it being their birthday. The mention of Carrot Cake just brought on a whole lot of memories.

The one thing I really appreciate, which I don’t say often enough, is that I appreciate the amazing bunch of people whom I have the pleasure of calling my friends. The support, words of encouragement and love amongst our group has been phenomenal. Ironically, when I’ve been by myself I tend to do better; but when I see one of my friends, for some reason I see La and it chokes me up. I guess she really has left a little bit of herself in all of us.

I can only pray that everyone else who is going through the same trials and tribulation have a similar support system.

No comments: