Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home

It’s crazy to think that I’d ever go to someplace other than Willoughby’s in the V&A Waterfront for sushi, seeing as how I love that place so much. But it just so happened that my brother and I bumped into our good friends Alex (who’s a girl) and her husband Jurgen while strolling from meeting up with Bevan to check out WiWallet in action again, this time at the Primi (it never ceases to amaze me how convenient WiWallet is, I would love to see the day that I no longer have to carry all my cards and wads of cash around).

Alex and Jurgs suggested that we catch up with a drink and a little bite, and seeing how we were lazy, we decided on the path of least resistance, and settled for the first spot in sight which was the new 221 Waterfront. None of us had been, so we were all excited to check it out. At first they seated us at the restaurant section which was pretty la-di-dah, too formal for a casual catch up, so we asked if we could move to the more relaxed, yet still very stylish, upmarket bar area.

Feeling quite peckish and after Alex convinced me, with her incredible sales pitch, about how she had heard they have one of the most sought after sushi chefs in the country, I settled for a little bit of sushi. I must say it didn’t disappoint and was very fresh and tasty, but if only considering the food; Willoughby’s is still superior in my honest opinion. The one upside that 221 Waterfront has over Willoughby’s though, is that you don’t feel like you’re sitting in the shopping centre.

I met Alex a few years back, when she was the manageress at FTV Café. She always had cool funky earrings, and I would always compliment her and comment about them (I’m still seriously all man…right?). Initially she thought I was a weird, freak; but after a while she realized I was quite cool and I became good friends with her and her then fiancé (speaking of fiancés…is it just me or have a lot of people being getting engaged lately...I just want to congratulate you all and wish you all a wonderful and prosperous future!)

We had some great conversation; one thing I love about Cape Town is that you meet people from all parts of the world. Alex is from Poland and we actually ended up discussing the differences between Europe and South Africa. With all its faults, I still believe we live in an amazing place, and after talking to Alex and Jurgen who’ve lived in different parts of Europe like Poland and Amsterdam, I’m even more convinced that where I am right now is where I want to be. Right here in good ol’ Cape Town.

No comments: