Thursday, August 28, 2008

Good Memories

It's official there isn't a square centimeter in this town that you can go without meeting someone who doesn't know Lauren Devine.
I found out someone in my office is also connected to her, and earlier, when I went to get my haircut for the funeral tomorrow (I needed to tidy up a bit to look some what respectful, as I was starting to look like the delinquent I actually am) I haphazardly bumped into a bunch of other folks who also know her. I can't remember who it was that said it, but whoever he or she was, was right. There isn't a church big enough in Cape Town that would be able to cater for La's friends.

Be it have been a long or short period that you knew her, she left her mark and made you feel like the most important person in the world. Things have been getting a little easier (relatively at least) for me and instead of focusing on what has happened, I've been focusing on the good times that we've shared - to be honest I think she wants it this way. I was so happy to find out, last night, when I visited one of her very close friends, Caz, that La had visited Charlies Bakery and had bought some cupcakes for her birthday there. We drove past Charlies about a week ago and when La saw the place she wondered if it was worth the effort to visit. I insisted that she should go, because they had the most phenominal cakes...I'm just glad that someone listened and took my advice for a change - generally most people look at me as if I'm daft.

When I was living up in Johannesburg, I missed the coffee club I had going in Cape Town so much, that I decided to try get one started up there as well. La was living up there at the time too and was the only other person besides me who ever attended. I hated living there and when ever I complained about it, it was to her. She obviously prefered Cape Town more as well and thats why she probably moved back down to Cape Town. But In true Devine style; she put a positive spin on it and convinced me that it wasn't all bad. She would always tell me that at least we had the Vida at 24 Central and the Tasha's - which I do admit now that I really miss and would probably hop on a plan to Joburg for, just to grab one of their cappucino's and breakfasts. She has this amazing ability to make the best of every situation...

My brother and I had dinner with some amazing friends this evening. It was awesome to catch up with Georgina and Andrew. We actually met La originally through Georgie a few years back and it was great to spend the eveing sharing some good memories with each other. I've come to realize that everyone mourns differently. I guess I really find comfort in writing about her and trying to convey what a wonderful person she is and to celebrate how positively she lived.

No comments: