Friday, August 29, 2008

Love Devine

It’s been a long emotional day. But it’s been a good day. I woke up and received a message on my phone from my dear friend Jackie, who wanted to wish me some support for La’s funeral which was to take place later in the day.

Sadly, Jackie knows more about loss than anyone; having lost both a father and a brother in recent times, and I really thank her for her kind words of encouragement. She wrote a message to send me strength and warned me that the funeral would be emotional, but that it was good; and that it would bring about some peace a sense of closure.

I worked half a day today, and on my way home to get ready for the funeral I played a song by my other brother, Bryan’s band, the Finkelstiens called “Today”. As the words “Lift your head you’ll find your way, grit your teeth you’ll make it through today” resonated I felt some much needed courage coursing through my system.

The church, as suspected, was too small to cater for La’s memorial service; but then again, was there any ever doubt that it would be big enough? Friends came from far and wide to pay their respects and to show the Devine family their support, our friend Stef even travelled all the way back from NYC to do this. God, it was good to see her.

After the service finished, we moved on to La’s aunt’s house to see Ally, Gary, Mich and the rest of the family. One minute of meeting the Devine family and you start to understand where La’s qualities come from, with her sister equally as talented, loving and carin;, it is obvious that it is the environment that Ali and Gary have provided to produce, not one, but two spectacular women.

The mood lightened with some friends meeting up at Caprice to celebrate La’s life and it is evident to me now that La doesn’t just attract people…she attracts great people. Even after she’s gone, she still seems to bless us and has given all her loved ones the opportunity to unite.

At the end of this day, I am comforted by the fact that she is in a better place. I am really tired now - Jackie was right - I think that it was good for all the emotions to come out. Perhaps tonight I may finally get a restful night of sleep. Rest in Peace, beautiful Ms Devine.

No comments: