Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Beginnings

New Years Eve…still no final plans for a party. All I know is that I’m picking up Xav from the airport at close to 11pm.We’re going to wing it from there. We have a few options, but nothing set in stone, I’ll try to find out what he is up for, before making a decision. I fear however, that his flight from New York will have been a tiring one.

It’s the last day of 2008. Personally, the close to this year couldn’t have come quick enough and for a lack of a better word it’s been a ‘kak’ (‘kak’ for those of you who do not understand Afrikaans is a vulgar word meaning: poo) year, perhaps the worst one that I’ve ever experienced.

I don’t even want tempt fate by saying that next year cannot be worse, but the chances are slim. I have a feeling though, that 2009 will be a much better year, a great one even and can’t wait for it to roll in. Throughout the day, I’ll try to think of New Years resolutions and discard the negativity of the past.

A lot of people don’t believe in New Years resolutions, they argue, that one doesn’t have to wait till the new year before making changes. True, one doesn’t have to; but it is good to have a tangible start and finish - ask anyone who has worked in the Project Management paradigm (I’ve been fortunate to have done so previously), milestones are important in projects and in life. The New Year is such a milestone. And this year can be seen as a project gone horribly wrong.

Sure, not everything has been negative, there’s obviously been some positives. I’ve met some terrific new people, but then again, I’ve also lost a few near and dear to me… This year has provided me with a point of departure. And like in a bad project it’s provided me with some references to learn from and to grow.

1 comment:

narrylikes said...

yeah... 2008, what a year.

heard quite a few people say that the number 8 means "new beginnings" or something. not sure, but last year was the worst to date. i had to say goodbye to so many people and things. that included losing my cousin, uncle and dad in one week.

somehow we all manage to get through these things, but my goodness - please let this year be a good one.

then again, i'd like to believe that you have to say "goodbye" before you can say "hello" to all the new things that are waiting to happen.

bring it on! :)