Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Christmas Eve. Not even a few minutes off the plane and I found myself surfing solid 4ft perfect waves at my beloved Millers. But before such blessings could be bestowed upon me; there, of course, had to be some tribulations.

On arriving at PE airport, my brother and I were harassed by the police; apparently we look really dangerous (maybe even mafia-like) as they pulled us aside, began interrogating me and made me open my bag to inspect its contents. It was a mild inconvenience as my poor dad had to wait patiently, as they sifted through my delicates looking for things of a dubious nature. At least there were no cavity searches. However, being the only oriental people on board and also being the only two people questioned; it makes me wonder if we were not the subjects of blatant discrimination...

Whatever. I quickly put that behind me, jumped into the car with my best mate Bryan and scored big, finding Millers cranking and resembling the Point in J-Bay, except only better. Three hundred meter rides were the order of the day. I found myself a bit shaky as I haven't been in the water for a while and was riding a board that was shaped for me, when I was 14 years old. I've come a long way since those days and my manliness has outgrown the vehicle once fit for a boy. Otherwise, it was probably the best surf I've had in the last 4 years.

What a welcome home; I'm not certain how it works but like clock work, every Christmas there is a guarantee of good waves in PE.

Surfing works up quite an appetite, which is perfect, as our Christmas Eve dinners are traditionally bountiful and I celebrated with the family in true oriental fashion at the Golden Coast, Chinese restaurant. The family and I enjoyed ourselves with much feasting.

This morning ,I was up ridiculously early, before the rest of the family. So I sneakily snuck out for quick surf before coming back home to exchange gifts. So far, my Christmas has been perfect. I just can't wait for lunch!

I'm wishing you all a Merry Christmas and hope that everyone is having as a terrific time as I am.

1 comment:

Marius van der Westhuizen said...

Hey Benny,

and the same to you mate! Hope you have a great Xmas!

Surfing!!?? Now that is something I never knew about you! Chat soon!

Ciao,