Friday, December 19, 2008

Elation

I'm so happy.I can finally taste it. It's here. My last day of work. Just 8 more hours left, then I'm off for two weeks. *Manic Laughter*.

When you start being able to taste intangible things like happiness, then there's only two explanations as to what is wrong with you. You've either gone crazy or experiencing an extreme bout of euphoria. There's a fine line between the two, but there is a difference. I'm elated. Besides the couple of days I had off last month, I haven't had a proper break in close to two years. I'm counting down the minutes...

I had a random night of fun last night. "Random" is such a random word to use, but it's the only word I can use to describe it. After the most boring Body Corporate meeting ever, I decided to go do a few laps in the pool at the gym. Upon my return, I bumped into one of neighbours Alejandro, a native to Margarita Island just off the coast of Venezuela. His girlfriend, Desi had just arrived off the plane from London and he suggested we all go to Karma to enjoy a night of Latin American dancing (apparently this happens every Thursday night...I never knew this).

Let me clarify, I can't do the salsa or samba; so going with someone who is actually from Latin America was going to be an education. At the venue, I discovered that there is a micro community of Brazilians, Phillipinos and other internationals living in Cape Town. What a weird experience, I was in my own town, but felt like I was in another part of the world.

Everyone was so welcoming, offering me to sit with them, sharing their drinks, trying to accommodate me, teaching me to samba and showing me a good time. I think it's got something to do with the way I look. But foreigners often think that I'm also from out of town and always seem to be interested as to how I ended up in South Africa too. More often than not, they're really eager to show me the ropes...in my own city! It's weird but I really enjoy it, it opens my eyes and I see how other people experience Cape Town; when this happens, I begin to really appreciate what an amazing place I live in.

What a great evening. Now, if only the clock would just hurry up...

No comments: