Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Pen. Mightier than the Sword.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this more than once, but I’m on an eternal quest of self improvement. Ernst gave me a book entitled Writing Well – The Essential Guide by Mark Tredinnick, an award winning writer to help me do just that.

Lately, when people ask me what it is that I do for a living, instead of replying that I’m just a boring software developer, I reply that I’m an aspiring writer. I’m beginning to believe that, that is what I’d like to be, a writer of sorts; even if it is just for fun.

Never having any formal training, it will be a troubled journey of developing style, improving my vocabulary and stringing together, sensible sentences. I’ve always enjoyed writing, I penned for my school newspaper and won an award for it. An exchange teacher, Mister Hendricks from the States also commented once, that he thought I should become a journalist.

At the time, I shrugged it off never even considering perusing it as a hobby, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my fading memory, it must have been lingering and recently, after neglecting my right brain because of concentrating on making software, my passion for writing resurfaced.

Now, I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy developing software, but I feel that I’m a creature that requires balance. I need to balance the amount of activity taking place both on the right, as well as the left side of the cerebrum.

Dreams start somewhere; not being one to sit idly by and just allow fate to take its course, I’ve tried to apply some pressure on destinies hand and make my own future in a realm that I’d like to explore more. The digital age has provided me with this blog as a medium to help develop my skills, to voice my opinions and to try create a coherent prose; as time goes by I’ll start to reveal my intentions and elaborate on the bigger picture of what this fanatical blogging has been all about.

Hopefully, after working through this book, this essential guide; I’ll be able to learn how to be a better wordsmith, improve my literary skills (Holy Jinkies Batman! I'm finally able to use 'literary' in a sentence) and avoid the fau paxs that many untrained writers experience.

No comments: