Friday, December 26, 2008

It's my Birthday and I'll Cry If I Want To

My folks won’t stop feeding me. Every time I leave the house and come back there’s another massive meal on the table. Every time I finish a tube of Pringles, there’s another tube, waiting. There seems to be an endless supply of food and snacks in the Ou residence that keeps replenishing itself. No wonder I was a fat kid.

Not that I’m complaining of course, it’s just a lucky thing I’ve been surfing as much as I have been. While I’ve been home, I’ve surfed 5 times in 3 days clocking up at least 12 hours of water time. Constantly paddling and thus, thankfully, burning calories. Otherwise I might end up incapacitated, incapable of leaving the house due to overeating.

Hmmm surf, eat, surf, and eat some more…It’s not a bad way to spend the rest of my life. Well, I have two more meal obligations to attend to today, lunch with some friends and dinner with the family later this evening. You see it’s my birthday (thank you everyone for the well wishes).

Another year older and hopefully wiser; I’m officially closer to my thirties, on the other side of an exuberant twenty and should probably start to act more responsibly. I should probably begin thinking about my long term future goals, ditch the pie in the sky ideas, and think about settling down and taking safer routes in my career, relationships and other life choices…

“Should” is the operable word. I’m just not sure if I’m capable of listening to conventional wisdom anymore. I’ve abided by it for way too long and have nothing to show for it. So I dare to dream, and to dream big. I hope – no - believe that it is merely a matter of time before these dreams come to fruition and that everything will eventually fall into it’s place.

No comments: