Monday, December 8, 2008

Alone by a Tree

It's going to be a busy week, my calendar is already chokka block with events as is the case when the crazy season descends upon us. Coming to the close of the year, people begin to unwind and celebrate achievements, forget about tribulations and generally just try to have a jolly good time.

This week I have an end of year function, a Christmas dinner, a birthday celebration, a farewell and an international music act to attend. Which means that it doesn't leave too much time for myself. Contrastingly, I'm a social creature, but with that said I really do appreciate my own company and more and more I find it necessary to have a moment to myself; just enough time to take a breather, gather my thoughts and not to lose my own identity.

Yesterday evening I did just that and found myself a little secluded spot. Looking into the distance watching as the day drew to a close and the sun began to set (a fitting comparison to the closing of the year methinks). Stuck in time, with a multitude of colours merging into the azure sky; it dawned on me what an extreme year of change it has been for myself, experiencing: the loss of loved ones, a change in career path, a plethora of new faces and friendships made and a rekindled sense of self-respect.

I sat acknowledging and perhaps finally accepting how little, of how everything fits together, I understand; and succumbing to the fact that life needs to take its course; and with everything there is a season and a reason.

What a great way to spend the last minutes of the weekend. Just me. At peace. Alone by a tree.

No comments: