Saturday, December 13, 2008

Of Absent Mind

Sometimes I think if you had to replace my brain with a grapefruit, I’d be less absent minded. A few recent events have helped me reinforce this theory.

Besides running in the wrong shoes, (I should have known better); and really hurting myself. A few days ago, I left the headlights of my car on, at Kristi’s birthday party. At the end of the evening when attempting to start the vehicle to go home, all I got when expecting the engine to fire up was the deathly silence of…ummm a non-running engine. Good thing, Karina decided to leave at the same time and helped me jump start my car - otherwise I might have been in a sticky situation.

Last night, I locked myself out of my flat; there’s a latch on the door that automatically locks itself. I installed it because, ironically, I figured I’d be too absent minded to remember to lock up every time I left home. The funniest thing though, was the fact that I was dressed only in a pair of swimming trunks and just had a towel in my possession. I didn’t even have my phone with me.

I had to convince the guard in the lobby of our complex, to use his phone, so I could get a hold of my brother, for him to come home and let me in. Other residents of the complex thought that it was strange to see some guy standing around in the lobby half-naked…. I’m certain that everyone knows me as the weird, half-naked guy now.

More and more, I find that we are becoming dependant on technology. Our brains are getting lazier and lazier. Gone are the days of remembering telephone numbers, these days we simply enter a number into our phones and let technology do the rest. It’s sad really. The only number I can remember besides my own; is my home number in Port Elizabeth. So when trying to get my brother to help me, I had to indirectly call my father to call him.

I think it’s about time they invent something to prevent mind absenteeism, I don’t know, like maybe some sort of hard drive chip thing, that integrates with your brain. If they did, it would be sweet, because seriously, I need an upgrade.

2 comments:

narrylikes said...

"Lost" my phone the other day, in a complete state of panic I realized that I do not know anyone's number. It's quite a scary thought.

I like to think that it's that time of the year and that everybody has too much on their mind.

By the way, found my phone when I got out of the car, I was sitting on it.

Benny Ou said...

haha. I do tha quite often too :)