Thursday, January 1, 2009

Priceless! - A New Years Story

With less than 10 minutes to go before the count down; Xav, Joe and I were running to our mansion party in Fresnaye, only to be kicked out by some wealthy guy with an ego trip.

Standing in the street with no where to go, Joe popped the boot to grab the emergency bottle of bubbly I had packed, just in case we were stuck at the airport, fetching Xav. Confused as to what had just happened, as they had organized earlier with “wealthy guy” for us to join them, Dan and Abi came outside. We did the count down right then and there, in the street; only a few good friends.

Wealth is not about money, it’s about the people you meet and the relationships you forge. The above illustrates that. Sure “wealthy guy” had a massive house, fancy cars and the all the rest (who knows maybe he has a private jet too), but what I did notice when I walked in was that I was in an environment I probably didn’t want to be in, in the first place.

“Wealthy guy” had surrounded himself with the superficial, which of course is great, because he can afford it. But at the end of the day (or in this case year) did he really have as good a time as we did in the street, just a few close friends? Would the people who were there with him really have been there, if not for his so-called wealth?

If you had to ask me the same question, I would already know the answer.
We shrugged the situation off and were just happy to have celebrated New Years together; that my friends, is what you call “real wealth”.

A massive, opulent mansion party in Fresnaye: Thousands upon thousands of Rands. A few stranded friends celebrating the New Year count down out on the streets: Priceless!

No comments: