Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Having My Cake...and Eating It

I found myself distracted for close to half an hour at lunch, marveling at pictures of cakes…not even real cakes, just pictures.

My friend Mari sent them to me, besides the really delicious looking kind some of the ones that she sent were pretty darn impressive and must have taken a heck of a lot of effort to make. One of them looked like a bale of beer and the other like Herbie the talking beetle car.

The only place I’ve seen such impressively designed cakes, here in Cape Town, are at Charly’s Bakery on Roeland Street. I’m told that a really well crafted one can cost you a small fortune.

Speaking of cakes, my cake intake has more than quadrupled recently. In return for showing him and his girlfriend around Cape Town, my friend Ale has been whipping up some really delicious cakes and getting me to try them out, he even used me as guinea pig for a new carrot cake recipe the other day. Not all cakes are equal in my opinion and carrot cakes are right at the top of my list.

I could have chosen other topics to write about today, like the atrocities that have been ongoing in the Gaza strip recently, but I’m really not in the mood to start the year off negatively. So instead of choosing a morbid topic to carry on about, I thought I’d write about something that makes me happy…mmmmm cake.

3 comments:

narrylikes said...

...and Christmas cakes are half price this time of the year :D

Unknown said...

Ben Charlys bakery is the coolest bakery Ive been to... ever. I had to go a while back to fetch a cake and savoury quiche for an office function. I had to wait a while because the assistant told me that the quiche had just come out of the oven and that it was far too hot to take then! She then asked if I wouldnt mind waiting a little and gave me an awesome coffee and a danish butter cookie "pigs ear". Hope youre well big guy. Im back in town now so lets hook up. Skinny

Benny Ou said...

Hmmm I'll keep that in mind the next time our office needs a cake. And I'll make sure I get there just in time for it to come out the oven... :)