Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Tough Day

It’s been quite a tough day.

I’ve never really wanted to know what the person, who caused Lauren’s accident, looked like. I think I would rather not have known, but attending the court hearing today, because I wanted to support the Devine family, left me with little choice.

When I stepped into the hearing I didn’t even have a clue what he looked like. When I finally realized who he was, I was angry. I was angry that he seemed so normal, I was angry that he had family with him, I was angry that he was - human.

Before it was easier just to demonize him, in my mind he was a monster, he looked like a troll with a hunched back, a disfigured face with horns protruding from his forehead. Today, I put a face to the devil; a stupid face and all I really wanted to do was smack it and shout “Do you know what you’ve taken away from us!?” I didn’t though and I won’t, but it doesn’t mean it didn’t run through my head.

Usually, I try to give every person I meet a chance, but I doubt that I will ever like him.

The case was remanded until late March due to insufficient investigation, so unfortunately, we’ll have to wait for a couple more months before the court comes to a verdict with regards to the accident…

Yesterday, I didn’t think I was going to make it in time; but the hearing ended a little bit earlier than suspected, so I did my utmost and raced from Wynberg straight through to Table View to show support to my friend Alwyn.

Sadly, it was his fiancé’s funeral and although I have not known Teneille for long, from the encounters that I’ve had, I can tell that she’s a bright, kind and generous soul. To lose someone like that so suddenly and unexpectedly is a complete tragedy and I wish I could have had the opportunity to spend more time with her.

I felt so much sympathy for Alwyn, but what saddened me most was the fact that they were so close to their wedding day. To lose someone you truly love is surely one of the most difficult things that you ever have to endure.

My sincerest and deepest condolences to you and the Smith family, Alwyn, I hope that you are at least granted with the peace in knowing that she is in a far better place.

1 comment:

narrylikes said...

wow, what a tough day indeed. sorry to hear that you (and the people close to you) had to go through all these things. the things we'd much rather avoid and pretend it doesn't happen.

hoping for a better day tomorrow :)