Friday, January 23, 2009

Ambition

It’s dangerous to leave me alone for too long without anything to do, because then I start to think. My mind begins to wonder and I traverse through the endless possibilities and permutations that my future may hold. Lying in bed, sick at home with nothing to do, my imagination has again, gotten the best of me.

When we were younger we were lead to believe that we could be anything that we wanted to be, do anything that we wanted to do. Nothing was impossible, we had endless choices and those choices were right at our finger tips. Whether we wanted to travel to the moon, become the president, climb the highest mountain; no feat was too big.

The sad reality is that somewhere between adolescence and adulthood everything changed, the world crushed and told us that our dreams could not be realized – that we were to become paper pushers and work a 9 to 5, that we were too insignificant and limited in our talents to make that difference…

What I am writing now is a symbol of defiance, to give those would-be deterrers the proverbial finger and to lend my voice to the masses and categorically state: that what we were taught when we were younger is true - nothing is impossible. That you just need to work hard and have a little bit of perseverance.

I’ve talked about “plans” with regards to these daily notes of mine, and I feel it is getting closer to that time, that I start to share. I want to write. I want to write and have my writings published. I want it to mean something to someone, the way which Catcher in the Rye and Dreams From my Father meant to me.

I may not have that background in literature, but I write just the same and I’ve been doing it conscientiously and consistently for the past while. Slowly improving, slowly getting better – until I reach that point where I am able to write as naturally as I speak.

I believe it is possible, it’s not as far fetched as flying into space; yet some people of flesh and blood, the same as me, have already accomplished that task. But just dreaming is to be naïve; here’s the reality check, a dream remains a dream until something is done; the first step in realizing it is to do – I’ve begun to do, but I need to wait be patient and in time it will happen.

1 comment:

narrylikes said...

you'll do it benny! just keep doing and then i'd like a signed copy please.