Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Voice of the Voiceless

I half expected that my political commentary would stir the proverbial rice pot, a little. If my words ignited even some thought as to what is going on underneath the surface of it all, then I think I achieved what I set out to do. Most people, in my opinion, have become a little too apathetic with regards to what goes on in the country, and with the apathy have lost hope.

I’m not the most informed or the smartest cat out there; but I like to keep a tab on things and to talk about them with other like-minded folk, as I’d like to believe that I can still affect change. Am I naïve? Hopeful? Or just plain stupid? Perhaps I'm a little bit of them all; but who else is going to try to make a difference if it doesn’t start with myself? People seem to forget that everyone has a voice, and a right to vote.

On to a lighter a note, not more than a few months ago I opened up the GQ to find one of my mates JP Bolus in it. Yesterday, I opened up the new issue and found another of my friends in there. This time it was none other than coffee club co-founder, Bevan Ducasse. They did a full page article on him titled “The Man Behind the Cellphone Wallet”. The person writing the article even proposed marrying off their daughter to him, should she have been old enough.

It’s no wonder that every time, I introduce a potential girlfriend to my friends that they get over me really quickly and swoon over them instead. Man! I have to stop introducing them to my friends…when will I ever learn?!

Bevan is my new hero. I want to be him. I don’t want to seem strange but I may or may not have erected a shrine of him in my living room, and may or may not have some of his golden locks too…

No comments: