Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Republic of Hout Bay

Seems like the project at work is on track and seeing how it’s a public holiday here in South Africa I had a nice mid-week break.

There being so many arbitrary public holidays; I can never quite keep track of what and why we’re actually celebrating. I think today might have beenHeritage Day, and I think we’re meant to celebrate the cultural diversity of our country. But most South African’s I know, only know it as National Braai Day, in case your South Africanese is not up to scratch; a braai is a ritualistic gathering where meat is burnt over a fire and then feasted upon...in other words a barbecue.

Unfortunately, the weather has not been playing ball as of late and so instead, of celebrating with a braai, I think it turned out to become National Gym Day. For some reason, every person in South Africa seemed to be at the gym. It was packed and I struggled to get any of the machines I wanted, while there.

Besides my little workout, I didn’t partake in any strenuous activities. A few of us did decide to go on a bit of a road trip though – well not exactly road trip - and we only headed out that way to watch some DVDs. The drive was pretty much just over Table Mountain and into Hout Bay. Going to Hout Bay however, might as well be going out to another country.

It’s a sleepy seaside community and for whatever reason there is an inside joke amongst inhabitants, that it is its own republic; even though it’s only, at a maximum, a thirty minute drive outside of Cape Town city centre. I remember the first time I visited; I was dumb-founded to see signs which read “Welcome to the Republic of Hout Bay”. Apparently, if you are a resident, you can even get a fake Republic of Hout Bay passport… If I was seemingly confused; I can only imagine what foreigners feel like.

No comments: