Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bitter Sweet Symphony

I found it fitting that on the drive home from Natalie and Andrew’s wedding last night that the evening ended off with the song Bitter Sweet Symphony, by the Verve playing on the radio. Because for me it was exactly that: Bitter sweet.

The sweet bit was that yesterday, I was given the opportunity to witness one of my best friends, who is like a sister to me, tie the knot with the love of her life.

The wedding ceremony was held in Stellenbosch on a wine estate called Zevenwacht. The bride looked beautiful, the groom seemed delighted, the venue was exquisite, the décor was amazing, the flower girl cute as a button, the food phenomenal, the music well-chosen, the speeches touching. Everything was set to be a fairy tale, and it should have been nothing but a joyous occasion.

There was one thing lacking, and that was the matter of my date, which for me was the bitter part. Lauren was supposed to be my date.

I was really looking forward to taking Lauren with me. I remember before asking her to go with me; that I felt really excited, but I also had a high-school boy, anxiousness that perhaps she would look at me funny and turn down my offer. So I remember even having to plan and practice my proposition.

I’m not much of a charmer but I told her that I needed a really hot date for my best friends wedding. I found her reply entertaining but I loved it. “I am not sure I am the hottest date you could find, but of course I will be yours for the wedding”, she said. Not the hottest date? Silly girl, that’s why I loved her, super modest… and, well...hot.

I missed her yesterday, more than I think I’ve missed anyone. I found myself between mixed emotions, eclectic even; extremely happy the one second and contrastingly saddened the next. At times during the wedding ceremony I noticed that there was an empty seat next to me and when the dancing at the reception began I had no partner to dance with.

Not wanting to detract from the bride and grooms special evening, I tried my best to put on a brave face, but inevitably I knew that I would eventually succumb to emotion and have to run off.

I’ve also noticed at weddings, that this concept of separating by death, comes up quite frequently ( “Till death do us part.”). Now, I’m not sure if this just gets thrown around for dramatic effect, with death being some very distant and unlikely probability… But given recent events I’d like to, with all my blessings, congratulate Andrew and Natalie on a very successful and happy marriage, and added to that, wish them a long and prosperous life together. With emphasis, on the word “long”, of course.

No comments: