Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Training Day

I hung out with some really cool new people at a Braai out in Tableview yesterday evening. The crowd was basically from the wind surfing and kite boarding fraternity. Being an avid surfer back in the day and coming from the windiest city in the country, namely PE, we had a lot of common ground and there was a lot to talk about.

Training is going well at the moment - it's the first week I haven't missed a beat... yet. Although I almost wish I had missed yesterdays leg session, as I'm finding it rather difficult to walk today (I probably just need to work my legs harder so they get used to the pain). As I've said before though, "pain is weakness leaving the body", and it seems that I'm making some progress and seeing positive results.

Still, have a lot of work to do before I reach my goal (I'd like to be back into the shape I was in while I was still involved with Reflex at the end of last year), only about half way through my 8 week program, but at least I'm slowly but surely getting there.

When I'm trying to lean down I tend to use really light weights, however, I do increase my repetitions quite substantially. My weight sessions becomes more like cardio sessions; the idea is to breakdown muscle and burn body fat at the same time. It may be strange to hear a guy trying to break down muscle, but my body seems to have a tendency to get too bulky, which I don't like - and I prefer having well-defined, quality, lean muscle rather than bulky shapeless mass.

My repetitions begin to range well into the 20+ region (that's a lot of reps if you know anything about weight training) which is basically until failure on the lightest weights imaginable (meaning I can't push out any more reps) - often to the amusement of onlookers, watching as I struggle to lift even the smallest of weights.

In genera,l I'm feeling good at the moment - training is certainly helping me release frustrations and the added level of endorphins are most welcome at this point. I don't want to speak to soon, as in my line of work there are always surprises around every corner - but I got a lot accomplished in the last couple of days so it also seems that I'm on track to hit my deadlines comfortably, which definitely helps with my current emotional status quo.

No comments: