Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Musings

I’m so glad it’s the weekend! I thought after my emergency project at work that I’d have some time to take it easy and try to figure things out. But straight after it, I’ve been given even more deadlines. I suppose, I shouldn’t have expected anything less from the IT industry.

I find myself getting rattled a lot more easily these days; I also get angry or find myself in despair for no apparent reason. This is just a self diagnosis, but I think I may have roughly hit stage two of
the five stages of grieving
. With that said I’m determined to try and stay positive, keep composed and carry on moving forward.

Considering that Rocking the Daisies is going down this weekend,I was quite surprised at how full the Organic Market at the old Biscuit Mill was today. I figured that the same crowd that goes to an organic market would go to a rock concert that supports the environment.

I feel a little bit left out though, seeing as how I’m the only person who is not going or actually isn’t in the mood to go. I mean I reckon the festival will be awesome…but it’s weird, since I used to tour with the Finks; rock concerts and festivals remind me of a lot of hard work.

When I go to one, I start reminiscing about lugging heavy equipment around, racing from one destination to the next, doing sound checks and all the other labourious behind the scenes stuff that most people are oblivious to. I also tend to get hyper critical about how the bands play. I’ll pick up the smallest of errors; I’ll scrutinize their tempo, the sound set up, their timing etc, etc… I wouldn’t be what you would call "chilled" or "relaxed". After a hectic month of grinding, on my weekends, I just need to chill a bit.

I guess in some ways, I’m glad I learnt to play a musical instrument but in others I feel like its ruined music for me. I’ve become far too critical. It’s probably the reason why I only pick up my guitar a couple of times every year…playing it can really irritates me. I should be a lot, lot better; especially for the length of time I’ve been playing, but because I don’t get to practice enough; I don’t play quite at the level I expect so I get frustrated, and because of this I’ll just leave it.

I went to the market with quite an awesome crowd: My brother, Andi, Chris, Xav, Dani, Nicole and Gabi just to check things out and to catch up with Sabine, who has been jet-setting around the world for the last few months.

I noticed, in particular at the Loading Bay this morning at coffee club, that I’ve been hanging out with a large Lebanese contingency lately. JP, Lauren, Dani, Nicole are all Lebs... The reason why I mention this though is because I find it amusing, that every Leb in South Africa, seems somehow related to one another, which must make the dating game for single Lebs quite interesting should they feel like keeping to their nationality in this country.

My thoughts are quite disparate today; I think it could be all the caffeine I've ingested. Besides the coffees at coffee club, I had another one from the Origin stand just before leaving the market.

No comments: