Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tip of the Day

I think I’m a pretty good tipper, and usually tip well beyond the 10% mark. Ask anyone, I’m quite a generous guy.

On the odd occasion however, when the service is really poor, I’ll make a point of not giving a tip and show the individual just how unsatisfied with their service I am. I had such an experience recently, at an establishment which will go unnamed (because that’s not what this blog is about).

I made explicitly clear to the person serving us that I wanted tapas-like finger snacks to accompany our drinks at the bar, as there were five of us and we were on a schedule to attend another appointment. The waitron directed me to the menu area titled “Bar Snacks”, I ordered a couple of things from it. But instead of finger foods which we could share, they were full meals. What on earth was I supposed to do with two meals? with five people?

If it weren’t for my guests I would have made a scene and given the person a very stern scolding. Instead I chose to be slightly less brash and I very calmly told him how disappointed I was with him. When the bill came, under “Gratuity”, I explicitly wrote a big fat zero.

Suffice it to say I will not eat at that venue ever again. To the waitron who served us, well done, you have lost my patronage and I will never recommend your establishment to anyone – ever.

No comments: