Sunday, October 12, 2008

Homesick

I felt homesick today. Yip that’s right…I missed good ol’ PE. I bet no one thought they’d ever hear that one. But it’s true. Perhaps it was because of my surf yesterday.

Tried to look for a wave this morning, but didn’t find anything, there was swell but it was messy and breaking badly. I find surfing a mission here in Cape Town, you always have to drive endlessly to find something decent and most waves are only short rides. They start with a great drop in and taper off quite quickly.

Growing up in the Eastern Cape, one is spoilt with long point breaks; rides that go on forever. Besides stating the obvious like J-Bay and St Francis, ol’ PE has one or two decent ones too, like Rincon Point and Millers, both in walking distance of each other.

In particular, I long for my beloved Millers. It doesn’t break all that often but when it does…man, what a ride. As legend has it, Millers was once considered one of the best waves in the world for long boarding. It’s slower than Supers in J-Bay, but is right up there with the Point when it fires. I miss the wave, the good times and the familiar faces.

The surfing is a small part of the home sickness. I missed my old house, my friends, and my mom and dad. When I get the opportunity, I feel I need to take some time off and go home for a bit and surround myself with some familiarity.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Tell me about it... :(