Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Milkshake Brings all the Boys to the Yard

Royale Milkshakes rock the Kasbah...the large ones come in one of those large metal mixer things. It's a heck of a lot of ice-cream and milk to ingest, but they are seriously, seriously soooo good. Had one last night.

I know, I know, I said I was going to be stricter about getting lean and mean. But when I'm at Royale, I simply can't resist the urge to have a decadent milkshake, besides it was for a special occasion, Bini Baby was in town, and the gang decided to get together for a meal before she went off again on her world tour.

Unfortunately, I didn't eat there though, as I met up with Mish at Ricks Cafe for a quick bite, Mish is also known as the Goldfish as she has a wicked sense of humour, and compares herself to a goldfish because of her tendency to forget things (sorry Goldfish but I fear the nickname may have stuck). Rick's Cafe is awesome, such a great vibe but also, it's no slouch in the food department. They have a seriously amazing menu, I had a Chicken Tajine which is like a Moroccan stew - however, I almost wish I hadn't eaten there - because - I'm quite simply obsessed with Royale.

Royale is one of my favourite haunts, they do arguably the best gourmet burgers in the country and c'mon who doesn't like a good burger? Don't worry vegetarians; they also have an extensive range of animal-friendly options. To illustrate my obsession with the place, when I first relocated to Cape Town some 4 years ago I got so hooked that in one weekend; my mate, Ryan and I had lunch and dinner there: Friday straight through to Sunday; we did it just to try as many varieties of their burgers as we possibly could.

I speak under correction, but I think there is some story behind the name Royale too. I think it comes from the movie Pulp Fiction. Jules was trying to explain that because in France they use the metric system; instead of calling a Quarter Pounder at MacDonalds a Quarter Pounder, they call it a Royale...a Royale with Cheese, kinda has nice cachet, dontcha think?. They apparently did this so as not to confuse the French locals.

Anyways, all I'm saying is, don't be surprised that if the next time you're having a Royale milkshake and spot me devouring a burger or two, I'd ask you something ridiculous along the lines of: "You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?"

No comments: