Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Extended Family

Friends are the family you choose, and in Cape Town I’m fortunate to have, such a tight knit group that you could indeed call us family. For most of us, our immediate family members are absent and in far away lands and thus we have banded together to form a circle that enjoys the good times together and supports one another in the tough times.

Man, we have had many highs! But god knows that we have struggled through some shit too. That’s what has made us so close. Today, we celebrated the success of two of my brothers Dan and Paul, they've managed to secure an amazing opportunity in Prague; military advising for a George Lucas film, entitled Red Tails. Red Tails is a true story based on the first African American squadron to fight in World War part deux.

Although a high, it is also sad to see two family members leaving and so a little link in our chain is broken, even if just for a little while (a couple of months).

Earlier, straight after work I attended a casting for a Millers commercial. Since the casting location was very close to where I live, I decided to walk, which could not have turned out to be a worse idea due to the unbearable heat. When I finally arrived at my casting I was sweating, festering in my own juices; hardly confident enough to look presentable for potential clients.

But to make things worse guess who the only other person there, while I was there, was: local, South African, celebrity Colin Moss. Sweaty and flustered, the chances of me making any beer money are slim…

No comments: