Thursday, July 10, 2008

Surfs Up

The ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) world tour arrives in South Africa this week and kicks off at the fabled Super Tubes in Jeffrey’s Bay. The idea that surfing is a summer thing and the whole concept of an Endless Summer is a myth particularly here in South Africa, when winter actually brings the good waves. I remember my brother and I almost getting hyperthermia on one or two occasions when my mom, accidentally forgot us at the beach, in the dead middle of winter…in those cases we’d actually sit under the cold outdoor shower to keep warm, as the water from the shower would be higher than the surface temperature.

All through my teen years, I was constantly ragged on by others; about growing up surfing in Port Elizabeth and how consistently small the waves were there. (I also lived in East London which is ironically, the most consistent surf destination in South Africa…but I didn’t surf back then) While that might have been true, I’d argue that the waves in PE are right up there with the best when it does eventually get going! However most times that argument fell flat and I’d have to fall back on the “J-Bay is only a 30-minute drive away” trump card. It worked, and silenced my critics every time!

J-Bay is a world class surf break and is considered to be the best right-hand breaking wave on the planet. There were times during Uni where I had to weigh up the opportunity cost of either attending Economics lectures or catch a wave in J-Bay with some old PE surf rats like Mush and Jono Scheepers, needless to say it was a no-brainer and J-Bay won on countless occasions… In most cases it’s a sleepy town, but come competition season the place comes alive and becomes a circus of freaks entertaining us with their tricks, including one Mister Robert Kelly Slater.

I’ve followed Kelly’s career for years, way back when I was little grom (young surf dude) circa 1990, when Kelly blazed onto the scene and surfed in the Quiksilver Lacanau Pro in France, against my favourite surfer of all time Tom Curren. While Kelly might have lost in that heat it paved the way for an unbelievable career, including winning 8 world titles.

This year he is going for his 9th and chances are, if he wins Billabong Pro J-Bay he would have it sealed up. Perhaps not crowned the new world champ, but he would have accumulated such an insurmountable tally of points that it would just be a mere formality to wrap it up. As he has already won 3 of the 4 tour events, and the only person who is actually participating on tour to win an event (The other event was won by a wild card entrant). Besides Kelly I'm also cheering on young local upstart Jordy Smith who is being hailed as the new Kelly Slater!

Should you be an avid surfer, and have never been. I suggest that you take a road trip and check the event out. It’s a phenomenal spectacle. And if you’re feeling up to the challenge try catching a wave amongst the Pro’s, if ever you thought you were hot stuff, like I used to… you might be in for one humbling experience.

No comments: