Monday, July 14, 2008

ROFL

The title of today's blog for the acronym challenged, stands for Rolling on the Floor Laughing. Courtesy of Raenne and Paul, I attended the 4th Annual Vodacom Comedy Festival. I joked with Paul, and told him that if I didn’t laugh at the show, that I would beat him up and proceed to laugh afterwards. Of course I only kid, as he was quite safe since the show featured a remarkable list of local and international talent.

The awesome thing about attending a live comedy show is the interaction between comedians and audience, however this can also cause for some anxiety and stress...everyone loves to watch and laugh but no one ever wants to be the poor sod that gets shredded to pieces! The analogy is much like a colonoscopy, great to be the observer seriously unpleasant being the victim…although I’m not sure that colonoscopies are great to watch in the first place.

As an audience member you try to fly under the radar and to not stand out too much; less you attract the wrath of the comedians and become their object of ridicule. Last night one of the guys who was picked to perform in one of the acts, a ballet performance by the way, was so against being part of the show he literally kicked and screamed while being dragged on to the stage.

The fear of becoming a potential participant is all worth it though, especially if one of your posse gets picked on. I remember at Russel Peters(a famous Indian-Canadian comedian), when my friend, Katy was picked on for being American. I can't explicitly remember what all the ragging was about, but I can remember that it was really funny and I was sitting next to her in tears, crying with laughter. The fact that I knew the person whom Russell was poking fun of made it even funnier.

Today the French celebrate Bastille Day; the anniversary which symbolizes the uprising of the modern French nation. Unfortunately I didn't go to the Bastille Day festivities held in Franschhoek, but from what I've heard it was a really enjoyable event and is sure not to be missed next year.

No comments: