Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice-Cream!

Anyone who has an ear, let them hear! I found a Gelateria on Somerset Road in Green Point, called Gelato Mania that is so amazing that I not only visited it once yesterday but twice!

Gelato for you gourmet heathens is technically not ice-cream at all (so in retrospect the title of today’s entry is incorrect), and contains way less fat; the reasoning behind this is that fat sticks to your palette which would obscure the notes or flavours of the frozen desserts. So when you are looking for a good gelato you should notice that it is more flavourful and it isn’t quite as “sticky” in your mouth as full cream ice-cream. In relative terms Gelato is a healthier product but of course this is in moderation…Should you have had 8 scoops in one day, like me, then the previous statement, obviously holds less relevance…

In my honest opinion; Gelato Mania has some of the best Gelato I’ve ever had in South Africa, and trust me I’ve eaten a lot of Gelato in my day. I spoke to the store owner and they have apparently taken great care in sourcing their ingredients, ensuring that the correct temperatures are met and they have even studied at the finest Gelato Universities in Italy (yes you heard correct) to bring you an outstanding product. The Gelato at Gelato Mania is made fresh and kept no longer than a couple of days to ensure it’s consistent quality.

If you are a big fan of frozen desserts I would highly recommend…NO, I insist that you try out Gelato Mania. Now if only I could convince my coffee club to have a coffee meet at the gelateria next Saturday morning... they may complain about breakfast not being served there, but c'mon coffee and gelato! What an incredible combination!

No comments: