Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fake Coffee

The last two days have been hell. I finally understand the true meaning of Vida e Caffe ("Coffee is Life") because without it I seriously feel like I'm dead (I assume this is what heroine addicts feel like when they go cold-turkey). I got home yesterday evening and was so tired and useless that I even missed the gym. I collapsed onto my bed and fell asleep. This morning when I finally woke up I was still tired, even though I got double the dosage of my normal sleep.

This morning was terrible, convulsing and foaming at the mouth (okay perhaps not that bad) but with my head pounding, I was stumbling around as if drunk. A lot of people, have been giving me moral support and telling me of similar stories of when they kicked their smoking habit or quit coffee (I think there should be a support group for people like us). I'm really appreciative of the support in this trying time. But for the record I have no intention of quitting coffee, quitting is for losers (and I ain't no loser). In fact I can't: "Coffee is Life" remember and caffeine is not the only reason that keeps me hooked. It's the taste too...that mind blowingly, bitter, chocolaty, goodness.

Damn I love the taste. I was determined to go the entire day without anything, just water but eventually I gave into temptation. I ran off to the closest coffee shop and even settled for a decaff Americano (fake coffee) just so I could try trick my senses into believing that I was feeding it with that sweet black nectar. Decaff coffee is to coffee drinkers what Nicotine patches are too smokers; not nearly as satisfying...but at least it takes the edge off.

The day is almost done I'm feeling more human. I think that it's because I might finally have kicked the caffeine dependency. I can't imagine it getting much worse...

No comments: