Saturday, July 12, 2008

On Location

This is the first time I’ve actually ventured out and written an entry on location. Have some work to do, but instead of sitting at home cooped up inside, I figured it would be a cool idea to take my work outside with me. I’m currently sitting in Camps Bay and enjoying the sun’s surprise visit, with not a cloud in sight. Although the wind and the air are still rather fresh; this is the closest we’ve gotten to summer in a while…

Just an observation but while driving around today, the streets of Cape Town seem rather quiet. I then realized that it’s probably due to the fact that there are so many festivals going around in the country at the moment. Besides the Billabong Pro in J-Bay, the Knysna Oyster Festival and the Grahamstown Arts festival are both going down as well.

After having travelled around the country as much as I did last year, I’m pretty happy to just relax and stay home in good ol’ Cape Town. Strangely enough; all three towns that I mentioned earlier are in some way, very much associated with hippies.

J-Bay back in the day was a hippie commune, and the first communities which started there, consisted a bunch of hippie surfers. Back in those days girls would apparently run away from their homes to hook up and live with the hippie surfers to experience the “Only a surfer knows the feeling” lifestyle.

Without going into too much explanation; the over abundant, presence of tie-dyed t-shirts and a strange aroma that lurks in the streets of G-Town and Kynsna, these clearly are evidence enough that there is some sordid history of hippism in these towns too. Not that I have anything against hippies of course and am all for the “Make love! Not war!” mentality.

Actually I just realized that the Grahams Arts Festival finished last week...ummm but I guess it doesn't break my theory of quiet streets seeing as how "the air" there makes people a lot slower and somehow manages to stop time. Err rranyways where was I...ummm whatever...Peace.

No comments: