Friday, July 11, 2008

Natural Wonders

I've been complaining about the cold a lot lately... and all with good reason. This last week has been the coldest week in Cape Town for the winter thus far, with average temperatures barely hitting double digits. However cold I think it may be though, I always seem to forget that we're still really lucky, and how some places in Europe like Denmark for example get frightfully cold. I used Denmark as an example because I was briefly chatting to Josephine, a Danish girl whom I met two summers back. And she simply laughed as I tried to tell her how it was freezing here, with temperatures reaching only a balmy 12 degrees maximum. I felt rather embarrassed later when she told me that their temperatures in winter go as far down as the minus 15 region.

Kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit. But winters in Cape Town are also always coupled with torrential down pours, which is the part that I really, really hate. Although on the flipside you then get a chance to see a spectacular, natural wonder, get even more spectacular. Table Mountain in all it's majesty, develops some incredible but seasonal waterfalls.

No comments: