Friday, May 23, 2008

TKO

The Bas Rutten System is the real deal! What is this system you may ask? It’s a workout which is specifically designed, by some crazy mixed martial artist, named Bas Rutten, to keep one fit in confined spaces. Simply explained it is 7 rounds of pure, calorie smashing goodness.

Each round lasts 3 minutes and consists of the recording of some guy (apparently Bas himself, but I’m convinced it’s some lazy voice over guy, sitting on a comfy sofa) shouting at you to kick, punch, do push ups, jumps etc. And in between these rounds there is a 1 minute break for you to try to catch your breath.

I’ve actually heard about it for a while and some of my mates: Junior, Action Dan and Paul; have raved about it and have been hooked since making Generation Kill, a hectic HBO, mini-series about the Gulf War (If any of you are lucky enough, to be in the US at the time, the mini-series starts in July).

I’ve been dying to check the workout out but haven’t had the opportunity, until today. At the little gym in my complex, where I was letting out some steam on the boxing bags after a long day at work, my neighbour, Oliver caught me and asked if I wanted to try a cool workout with him. I agreed and so it began.

Just a word of caution it’s not as easy as it first appears. The first round seemed pretty leisurely but come round 4 or 5; you really start working up a sweat! Reminded me of some of the drills I used to do with my boxing mentor Sandile…minus the body shots and bruises. I’m hooked…and will definitely try, find the workout on the internet and continue it as part of my training regime.

I was in serious need of a recharge after the workout and what better way to get the energy levels back up than with a bit of low GI, rice pasta, courtesy of Bini. A get together with good food and good company still remains my favourite way to spend the evening, but while the rest have gone to have some fun at the Jade Bar. I’m about to retire on account of a TKO.

No comments: