Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Great Gatsby!

When one, thinks of the book the Great Gatsby one makes an association to good living and opulence. Well I say old chap, the Gatsby I ate for lunch today certainly does not conjure images of fine dining.

For those of you who don't know what a Gatsby is. It is fare unique to Cape Town, although most places have some similar variation, for example Durban have what they call the "Bunny Chow". Anyways a Gatsby is literally a meter long sandwich stuffed with some type of curried meat, oily chips, gravy, lettuce, tomato and cucumber and can only be described as a "cardiac arrest" personified. It doesn't sound very appetizing but when you sink your teeth into one of these bad boys you'll be laughing.

Five of my new colleagues and I decided that we were going get two of these and share the bounty. Although there were six of us, some of my colleagues still could not finish off their portions. Back at the peak of my appetite I could finish one of these myself...my brother and I are small but, man, can we eat!

If I were an employer, I'd ban Gatsbys. Not only are they hazardous to the health of the employees consuming them, they are also productivity stoppers...I spent the rest of the day in a food induced coma...or as my friend Katy so aptly calls a "Food Coma". After the Gatsby, I was seriously lethargic, with all the blood rushing from my head to my stomach to digest the mass of greasy food that I had ingested. Not even a good cuppa could save me.

Gatsbys are an institution in Cape Town and part at the under belly of Cape Town's food scene, can be found at most local corner cafes. However I have it on good authority that the best Gatsbys are found in the Heart of the CBD at a place called Miriams Kitchen.

No comments: