Saturday, May 10, 2008

Am I Too Corporate?

I had a great start to the day; celebrating an early morning, birthday coffee with Lauren at the Loading Bay; which is fast becoming one of my favourite coffee hang outs. And from the seems of things also one of my coffee clubs (started by myself, Ernst and Ducassa Nova a.k.a The Bevanator), having our third Loading Bay visit in the space of 5 weeks.

The cappuccinos and the Lebanese style breakfast's such as the Manouche, flat bread filled with some delectable filling are awesome and keep me coming. Although I'm beginning to wonder if the same reasons could be said for the ladies in our club...In fact, I would not be a surprised should a "JP Bolus Fan Club" group appear on Facebook, with a large contingency of members making up the "Sat Morning CT Coffee" group too.

One thing I've certainly noticed at my new job is how relaxed things are on Kloof Street compared to in Jozi. Today I wore some suit pants, a neat open collared shirt and my cool preppy, sleeveless, sweater vest; hardly anything out of the ordinary or over the top. If I had been working in the business hub of Sandton though, I would have been well under-dressed, with most people kitted out in power suits and double-cuff shirts!

But as I was walking down to get my after lunch espresso at the Vida near my offices; I noticed that there were some serious stares coming my way. At first I chalked it up to my sheer animal magnetism, but after some time I noticed that they weren't the good kind of stares..."Was my fly down?" I checked. "Nope", it wasn't. I then started to notice that most people were in jeans, flip-flops and at most formal, a t-shirt. More than appropriate business attire it seems in Cape Town. I quickly realized the reason I was getting evil-eyed was because of being completely over-dressed.

"Sweet"! After this week of impressing (you guessed right Victoria) the bosses with my snappy, conservative, and very corporate wear, I'm going to start rocking it out in something more casual.

No comments: