Saturday, May 10, 2008

Murphy's Law

Oh man I woke up this morning feeling like a truck had hit me...seems like there is a bit of a cold/flu type thing, going around - For the record I cannot for the life of me distinguish between a cold and a flu anymore with purists putting me down and telling me that I have a cold every time that I mention that I might have the flu - whatever it was, I felt like death.

Since it was the first week at my new job and I was set to try impress; Murphy's Law stated that something was bound to happen to counter my intentions, hence my getting sick. I figured that taking leave so early on, at the beginnings of a new career, would reflect badly; thus the contemplation to stay at home lasted for mere fractions of a second.

Instead, against conventional wisdom, I decided to load up on some Vitamin C and downed some Theophen - a "compound elixir" which supposedly helps to relieve tight chests, act as a bronchio-dilator and makes the operating of heavy machinery much more exciting; to help block out the symptoms. As I trudged through the rain, in my already sickly state I wondered whether perhaps fate would not also strike a dastardly blow and end me...no such luck it seemed.

When I finally arrived at the office, I sat down at my desk and looked around for my new boss hoping that perhaps my diligence would, at least, not go unnoticed. As luck would have it and again according to Murphy's Law, like the Law of Gravity, absolute and never faulting; my boss was nowhere to be seen and had himself called the day off sick.

Since I had made the effort to haul myself out of bed I decided that I should stay and make the best of a bad situation. Thankfully this did not go unrewarded as during my lunch I bumped into Claire and Graham, my old neighbours from Sutton Place, whom I had not seen in a long time. I also discovered that Nando's Peri-Peri hot sauce is a great way to clear up ones sinuses, all in all a relatively productive day.

No comments: