Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sole Food

Well it looks like I’ve disproved the “Mind, Over, Matter” saying! I had all the will-power and mindset to carry out the strenuous workouts, heavy grafting, late night studying and blogging…but have found that the lack of sleep and the constant beating of my body has taken its toll and has completely depleted my immune systems reserves; and for the second time in a month I’ve caught the flu! You win this time, stupid flu!

The worst thing about getting the flu for me, worse than the nausea and feeling-like-I’m-going-to-die sensation is losing my sense of taste. Perhaps you might have noticed from my previous posts, but man, do I love eating…

I suffered in particular today at Beluga, where a few of us, Joe, myself, Karisa and Anna (my doctor friend), decided to make use of the 2pm-7pm weekend half-price sushi special. Normally one likes to savour the taste of the fresh fish, but today I might as well have been eating a bowl of rice, because my taste buds were not functioning! In fact I had to dunk the sushi in a copious amount of wasabi and soy sauce to have my taste buds fire off messages to the sense receptors in my brain…Anna please don’t criticize my lack of accuracy or medical terminology in that previous statement…remember I’m a techno geek not a med student!

So while I could not enjoy the taste of my meal to it’s full extent, I had more focus on the social aspects of lunching. Sure, sure…there is always conversation when you have a meal with friends, but I find that concentrating on someone talking while I’m trying to stuff my face with tasty foods is more difficult…. I’m male and apparently lack the chromosome to multi task. So to compensate for the lack of taste receptors, I was able to focus more on what was being said around the table.

One thing that struck me as amusing and came up as a brief topic of conversation is: how going to the cinema is a very social event, even though the experience itself isn’t a very social one. I mean you can’t really have a full blown conversation in the middle of a movie can you? I know I would be irritated as hell if someone next to me was having a fat chat. Yet not many people attend movies by themselves…

No comments: