Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sleepy Seaside Town

The one thing I love about living in Cape Town is the diversity it has to offer, one minute you may be surrounded by tall buildings, the next you’re tasting wines and eating cheese in the wine lands; and later on you might find yourself in a spot that feels like a sleepy little fishing village.

I slept pretty late today, trying to recover from this dang flu, and when I finally woke up, not at my own free will I might add: by my mom, who phoned to see if I were still alive; all the rest I luckily received, made me feel tons better and one of the first signs of a restoration of health is a serious case of the munchies…

As I was deciding what I was going to make, for breakfast; Ernst and Lauren called me up to find out if I was keen on going for a ride to Hout Bay, so I postponed my breakfast for the trip. Before our trip out though, we decided some coffee was in order and missioned to Kloof Street where we opted to get some cappuccinos from Seattle Coffee Company. I think that the Seattle Coffee Co is seriously under rated and offers some really good stuff.

Armed with our coffees we were ready, and drove through to Hout Bay. It might be the middle of winter, but you would never say, with the sun out and the temperature being at least 25 degrees Celsius. We walked around a bit, checking out the fish market at Mariner’s Wharf and afterwards tried to decide where to get something to eat. Hout Bay is allegedly the home of the best Calamari in South Africa, found at Chapman’s Peak hotel and the best Fish and Chips too, found at the wharf. With too many choices, I felt like that old horse that was introduced to me, way back in Economics 101 that died of starvation because it was placed between two pails of hay and couldn’t decide which to eat from.

Eventually we didn’t choose either and ended up somewhere in between, at a place called Dune’s. Our hypothesis was that if the wharf had the best Fish and Chips and the hotel the best Calamari the the place in between must have the best of both worlds! Dune’s is a great spot and the food is great too…and while it might not be the “best” it made up with a killer vibe, and had awesome views of the bay along with fishing boats setting out from the harbour. I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast, which only started at 3:30pm.

No comments: