Sunday, June 8, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Jackie Chan and Jet Li in a movie? Really? Perhaps I was dreaming but I watched a movie today called Forbidden Kingdom with two of Hong Kongs’s biggest action stars in it. Both of them have been making movies for decades, but much to my dismay they have never been in a film together.

Forbidden Kingdom is based old Chinese folklore, and revolves around the tale of a mischievous character known as the Monkey King (Sun Wu Kong). Parts of the film is quite authentic and takes me back to my childhood, where I’d often beg my grandparents to tell me tales of this great legend. However like most Hollywood produced films Forbidden Kingdom has been commercialized to a point where it’s lost a lot of its true roots.

None the less being a massive Jet Li and Jackie Chan fan, I was quite thrilled to see them starring together; and with the fight scenes choreographed by Woo-Ping the same guy who choreographed the Matrix. There was action abound and plenty of great visual effects.

2 comments:

Darryn van der Walt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darryn van der Walt said...

The Matric - oh man I loved that movie - wasn't found of the final exam scenes though...

FK does look like a pretty sweet movie - keen to check it out