Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brainstorm

Entrepreneurship is an addiction; once bitten it can consume you, your every being and every thought. Some nights you lie awake, conjuring up ideas, brainstorming and wondering when (not if…never if) that one idea will come that will kick some serious ass and be, like…umm totally successful.

For some it takes many tries but, for one Bevan Ducasse, on his first; the dream, is at an arms length away. I remember distinctly, about 10 months ago, Bevan approached me with a crazy pie in the sky idea, as he wanted some techno geeks to bounce his idea off of. Being in Software and at the time starting up my own business, he approached me for some advice and to see if I knew anyone who could help him out or have some input. The first person to come to mind was techno Wunder Kind, Ernst Kuschke.

Ernst is one of a handful of South Africa's Microsoft MVPs (Most Valuable Professionals), one of the longest running ones at that, and always seems to be ahead of the pack in terms of technologies and their capabilities. This includes both Microsoft and non-Microsoft technologies.

At the time Ernst and I had already started our Saturday morning, coffee ritual; and I thought it was good idea to set up a meeting around a productivity enhancing coffee (I wonder how many business deals and good ideas have surfaced over a good cuppa). This by the way is how the Saturday Morning CT Coffee club started. After introducing us to his idea, we began to discuss some semantics and of course the viability of the idea.

After a relative intellect intensive morning, we needed a change of pace and get rid of some excess energy. We some how decided to mission for a surf out in Big Bay. I think it was somewhere between all the caffeine and the salt water in his system, that Bevan all of a sudden decided, with absolute conviction that this idea (hold on guys the idea will soon be revealed…sheesh and I thought I was inpatient) of his would work and that he was going to go for it.

In the end Ernst and I, were unfortunately too preoccupied to get involved in the venture. But close to a year has passed from that day, and the Bevanator (like the Terminator only with Bevan in front) after much blood, sweat and tears has paved much of the ground work, already creating a working prototype, and sealing some big corporate deals.

I’m proud to introduce and be one of the first to write up (sure the Financial Mail might have beaten me to it…but everyone knows that my blog has more clout) on Bevan’s idea: WiWallet a means to simplify the paying of goods by using your cellphone. You heard it here first; WiWallet is going to revolutionize the way that commerce is done.

No comments: