Sunday, June 15, 2008

Going Down to South Park

Pretty impressed that after a big night, that I still managed to wake up relatively early to make it to the gym this morning! Was a rather unexpected evening out, but it turned into a great one, we started off at the Oblivion wine bar and restaurant where they threw a back to school party…I’m pretty certain however that schools don’t let their learners (not students by the way, as the South African government has categorically stated that this is not the correct term to use for individuals attending school at the primary and secondary levels) behave in the fashion that was to found at the party.

From Oblivion we made our way to Jade, where we dominated the dance floor. At one point I think I might have even pulled out some break dance moves. To end the night off, we moved to my old favourite hangout FTV. Quite a productive night of club hopping! So it was quite a surprise for me too, that my internal alarm woke me up.

After my gym session, as a reward I decided to just chill out and go down to South Park and meet some friends of mine. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are two of my biggest heroes. All through out varsity, I dreamt of being like them and create my own animated series> as it so happens I actually have a hamster character that I have developed and few scripts. The only thing left for me to do is actually sit down animate it and try get someone to buy into the idea. That of course is totally the easy part…

I’m a huge fan of South Park but many people think that it is just stupid toilet humour. The series is actually frightfully thought provoking and Trey and Matt are in my opinion the best satirists, ever. From current affairs, regarding politics and new lifestyle trends, they seem to stay on top of their game and rip apart and show how ridiculously serious we as society can take things. I understand where a lot of it can seem crude and can offend people but if you watch South Park with a pinch of salt, there generally is a pretty valid point behind each episode…Although for some episodes, this can pose as quite a challenge.

No comments: