Monday, June 16, 2008

Globalisation

The definition of globalization according to Wikipedia is “integration of national economies into the international economy through trade, foreign direct investment, capital flows, migration, and the spread of technology”. My globalization experience of the day is one based around Mr Brown canned iced coffees.

You can find Mr Brown at Giovanni’s. But I find that it’s rather amusing and confusing that Giovanni’s import their goods from Italy, but Mr Brown is actually a product that is manufactured in Taiwan. A Taiwanese product found in an Italian delicatessen… in South Africa, how bizarre! Unless there are some trade benefits I’m unaware of; I’m pretty damn certain it would be more cost effective to import this particular product directly from it’s source i.e Taiwan.

I suppose now I kinda understand how strange it must have been for this American guy I met in Singapore, when I tried to explain how my family is Taiwanese but I’m actually South African! For some reason he just couldn’t comprehend how an Asian dude could be from Africa!

To be quite honest these canned coffees, are little more than just coffee flavoured milk, but I’ve been addicted to them ever since I was a kid and they bring about some nostalgic Taiwan experiences.To add to their appeal the product was also brought into existence the same year I was born! Perhaps two of Taiwan’s greatest exports to originate from the same year; coincidence?…I think not!

No comments: