Saturday, May 24, 2008

Parle Vous Anglais?

I'm having a very French day; as I was back at the French School, this time to support the schools bazaar. With all of the little children zooming around I was quite cautious not to try knock anyone over. Being really short I'm not used to having people below my line of sight! It amazed me how little some of these kids were, which made me wonder how small I was, when I was younger. Back in Grade 1, it was a fact I was the dinkiest person in my school. I remember it distinctly, because the teachers seemed to have a sense of humour and thought it would be cool to have the smallest person, plant a tree for Arbour Day. They conducted a school-wide manhunt. Guess who was picked? Yip. Me.

At R30, it was a sweet deal; you got a salad, a hot dog (I loved how Xav explained it "A baguette, with sausages and some sauce...very French"), cake and wine... and you knew the food was going to be great...cos you know? They're French. All for a good cause too; half of the money would go back into developing the school and the other half would go to helping some of the refugees who had become victims of the tragic, xenophobic attacks which have recently been taking place in our townships. This morning the coffee club collected a few items of clothing, old blankets amongst other things, just to help out with this worthy cause too.

I found it really amusing how all the teachers and young parents, asked me if I had children at the school. It was amusing because firstly, not speaking a word of French, I would have no business sending my children to a French Speaking school; and secondly I still consider myself a kid and am doubtful that I'm ready for such a big responsibility, well at least not at this point in my life.

Since Xavier was going to be busy the whole day with the hot dog stand and cleaning up after the bazaar; he asked us to do him a favour, to pick up some flowers and a bottle of wine (another very French thing to do) for the schools secretary's birthday later that evening. Joe and I missioned to the Woolies and with our limited knowledge, picked up the order. Armed with a bottle of wine and a big bunch of flowers, Joe got a lot of smiles from some over romantic females, so I guess the favour for Xav paid itself off...Thanks Xav, you've taught us a new French trick which I hope to use more often.

No comments: