Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Balance

After I go surfing, there’s always this moment after where I feel at peace. It’s a strange sensation; I’m somehow able to detangle and break down the unnecessary complexity that I’ve built up in my life, and for some reason everything seems to be so much simpler and clearer.

I had one of those epiphanies today. I realized, bar a few minor things, that I’m in quite a happy space. And it’s all due to living a relatively balanced lifestyle. I work hard, I play hard, I try to keep healthy, I’m developing good relationships, forging great friendships and even trying to manage my overall happiness.

I realize now, that balance, is important. Previously, I tried to focus on one thing at a time. For example I would somehow reason, that it was okay to focus only on work; neglect everything else and after a couple of years, once I had set myself up, made enough money, then, only start living.

The fundamental flaw in my old way of thinking is that one can never predict the future, and I could inevitable never be satisfied with the amount of money that I make and thus never really ever start to live. I realized at some point that, that type of thinking would lead me down a path of self destruction and I could potentially never be happy.

After my surf, I felt like I needed to focus more on this new found holistic approach and be tentative not to slip back into my old mindset. For the moment I’m content and I figure that if I maintain this balance, no matter what happens, life should be easy.

No comments: