Saturday, March 7, 2009

Euphemisms

Why is it that when ever I’m on holiday I get sick? I’ve been struggling with an angry stomach for the last couple of days. “Angry Stomach” is my euphemistic expression for diarrhoea.

So why didn’t I just come out and say that? why didn’t I just say; I have had a stomach bug and have been suffering from diarrhoea? Well, it’s simple really; using a euphemistic expression takes away some of the grossness of the situation. Sure I’ve laid diarrhoea out in plain sight now, but I’ve only done so to illustrate a point, I could have easily explained my ailment without mentioning it explicitly.

Using euphemisms often soften a hard situation and it’s far more diplomatic than laying it down as it is. Euphemisms can also get the point across in a far more polite fashion. For example, instead of me saying something like “He was fired because he was stupid” I might say “He was subsequently let go due to his inability to meet expectations”. See how I did that? It’s far less brash.

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that I’m on holiday, but I woke up about 20 times due to an angry stomach last night; I am as tired and as grumpy as hell, yet I somehow managed to perform an arms length of chores. While I’m asking questions, why is it that there is always more that one needs to do when one is not feeling well? And I did them all without killing anyone too…quite an achievement if I do say so myself.

No comments: