Monday, March 30, 2009

The Easy Life

I sometimes have to remind myself what a blessed life I live. Sure there are certain days which are difficult, but on most days I have it easier than others. I am able to feed myself, clothe myself, have shelter over my head, have fun and live in arguably one of the most breath taking locations in the world.

I realized this as I bit into a chunky piece of meat at a braai at a house on Glen Beach; overlooking the ocean. I watched the breaking waves and was in awe of the beautiful mix of colours in the sky as the sun began to set and realized: “Life, it could seriously be worse than this.”

I must admit the standard of living for an average person is South Africa, and particularly in Cape Town does seem much higher than most people in other parts of the world, first world countries included. I suppose I only have the Far East to compare to since I’m not that well traveled, but it seems that people don’t have to have as much to enjoy an extravagant lifestyle.

Perhaps I’m wrong here, but I just find this theory being confirmed by the many overseas visitors that I have had the pleasure of befriending.

I know sometimes I complain. But I am certainly grateful. I am grateful for what I have and realize that I have it better than the fair majority of people out there.

No comments: