Monday, March 23, 2009

Echo, Echo, Ecco...

The Coffee Club is starting to get recognized by the coffee institutions in Cape Town as a serious force to be reckoned with… Ecco il Café opened their store in the Victoria Junction especially for our Saturday meet. They usually don’t open that store on the weekends; but for us, they made a special effort.

I suppose with the ability to constantly generate a 30 strong crowd, it means that it’s more financially viable for stores to go out of their way to accommodate us. Even so, it is a great privilege and very much appreciated that they’ve done this and the support that we receive is warranted with much gratitude.

Nestled underneath the trees, on a beautiful day; Ecco with their amicable service, quality food and coffees, again, have shown why it amongst the coffee club members favourite spots. The choice of the Victoria Junction location is superb for coffee club, with it’s quiet, chilled, Saturday atmosphere; it felt like we were isolated and were able to have some privacy with our very own private function.

After the meet, I had the opportunity to visit Sol Kerzner’s new hotel, The One and Only. Ernst and Lauren are staying there as guinea pigs before its opening, one of the perks that Lauren receives as one of the architects working on the penthouse suites of the establishment. The hotel is not quite done yet, with endless numbers of construction workers still on site and visitors having to don construction hats to enter (at own risk).

For whatever reason, the site manager thought that I should sport a feminine pink one…I guess there’s no shame being fashionable on a construction site; but all the same why pink? And why me? Lauren was explaining how one of the suites she is working on, fetched more than R110 million before being resubmitted into the hotels rental pool. I’m not certain what I need to do to earn the kind of dosh to afford something like that. But after some consideration I felt that it’s imperative that I do.

Alternatively, I considered dropping off my CV and head shots at the reception, as a possible suitor for sugar mommas and daughters of wealthy tycoons; just in case anyone was looking and in hopes of me landing myself in good fortune. “Good companionship and well domesticated” it would read….

Seriously though, the two things that I’m looking forward to most; with the One and Only’s opening are the two restaurants that are expected to open with it: Nobu and a Gordan Ramsey’s restaurant. The two names are synonymous with fine dining the world over, and I personally cannot wait to be given the opportunity to experience the gastronomy of their reputations.

No comments: