Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Number 200 - Practice Makes Perfect

Today marks my 200th blog posts, that means I've been writing in my daily journal for 200, no wait excuse me, 198 consecutive days (on 2 occasions I posted twice in one day). I've gotten writing these notes down to a fine art.

Those of you who think I spend hours on these things are wrong, it takes me about 30 minutes to a maximum of an hour to churn one of these suckers out. Initially, they did take long, sometimes up to 4 hours, I found trying to get my thoughts in order and geting them down in writing, difficult. The more one writes though, the easier it becomes and one soon becomes rather efficient at it. Consistency and tenacity I've learnt is a key ingredient at getting really good at something, whether it be playing a musical instrument, training for a sport or in this case writing down thoughts.

Now, I'm not saying I'm good (I'm not there yet), I'm merely stating that I'm better than I was six months ago. Talent can only get you so far, but there is something about constant practice that keeps you poised in adversity, ever noticed how sportsmen sometimes excel more under extreme pressure, it's probably because they've played the situation in their mind so many times and practiced it so much, that their bodies are programmed to do the only thing that it knows how to do. There is definitely some truth to the old adage "Practice makes perfect".

There have been many days where I've wondered if I should publicly post what I've written, or whether I should even write at all. Somehow I've managed. I thought by the 200th post I would have something profound to say....I guess not, perhaps at the 300th.

2 comments:

Ernst Kuschke said...

Well, assuming a month has an average of 30 days, this means that you have been at this for 6.7 months!

Assuming (and this is quite a safe assumption) that a year has 365 days, it means that you have gone through 0.55 of a year, or 55% of a year!

Now, compared to your (assumed) age of 26 years, you have only blogged 0.02% of your life! Keep going man!

Benny Ou said...

Thanks for the stats Ernst! I'll keep at it....Hmmmm assuming that I could travel back in time, do you think it would be possible to improve that last stat to a 100%???